Cave Hill Patchwork Camp

 I started off with a Moda Collection for a Cause Historical Blender jelly roll and some background.  I wanted to make another Vivid Grid quilt, the pattern was originally published in Quilts and More magazine Spring 2017 and is by Sharon McConnell .  With no triangles and only two differnt length stips to cut, I declare this pattern perfect for super easy piecing, when a girl just wants to have fun!
I went home with all my 36 x 10" square blocks completed, enough for a 6 x 6 layout, = 60" square quilt.
All the while I was piecing these blocks I was also piecing half square triangles in scraps of green and neutral, for my newest Rainbow Scrappy Challenge block. I cut up alot of scraps recently into HST to finish at 2.5".  So they got paired with neutrals (this months colour for RSC) and made into this little pile of 4.5" unfinished blocks. 
 And I started making mini churn dash blocks, 3" finished.
I was ridiculously pleased with the first one.  Despite careful cutting and piecing I had found that my mini blocks would often result in lost points.  However after good advise from Janet I swapped over to a different brand of thread, because it is thinner...it made all the difference! 
I spent a lot of time looking for mini pieces, its amazing how quickly they get "lost" because they are so tiny!
 But I managed a finished flimsy (14.5 x 18"), the pattern is called "Little Red One" by Red Button Quilt Co and I brought it all as a kit from Quilters Harvest.  I have yet to do the simple embroidery stems in centre of churn dashes, with mini button's for flowers.
 
 My friend Lisa put these sweet Bonnie and Camille log cabin blocks together over the weekend and made multiple bags/purses, of which I neglected to get pictures :(
 
I was too busy looking at the beautiful view this idyllic location offers, plus eating, talking and madly stitching!
Happy quilting Sue.


6 comments:

  1. I love the quilts you find to do Sue, your big blocks are so effective and your baby churn dash just amazing.... thanks for the tip about the thread.... must get some fine stuff in...

    Beautiful setting and your friends B&C quilt is lovely and fresh...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what fun!!
    Love the Vivid Grid in the Historical Blenders line. Really looks good.
    Oh, I almost squealed when I saw the tiny churn dash blocks. That pattern has tempted me many times. Great job, Sue!! Now you know why I love Aurifil.
    What a lovely view. I don't know if I would get much sewing done. I would want to watch nature instead--well, maybe for part of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Vivid Grid blocks. I just finished my Vivid Grid top and am getting ready to quilt. You have so many fun projects going. Big fan of the tiny churn dash blocks. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wer super productive during your lovely weekend retreat. The mini churn dash is delightful and I can see why you were constantly looking for little pieces. I've learned too over the years that thread can make a big differrence. Great advice from Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! Your applique and your quilting both are beautiful! ---"Love"
    ตารางคะแนนลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Kim Diehl star in a churn dash blocks

I was just popping in to read some of my favorite bloggers, after a six month absence!  Then I saw that there was this draft post, so figure...